From Honda Wiki
The Honda Sonic is a 125 cc motorbike designed for South East Asia market by Honda. It is the sister motorbike of the European 13.5 hp CBR 125. The motorbike belongs to the RS Nova motorbike family. The Sonic is one of the most popular motorbikes in Thailand. Its only rival is the Suzuki Raider 150, that never truly made it onto the market. The sonic is a bridge motorbike between the Honda Wave and the CBR 150. It has similarities to both motorbikes, but more closely resemble the CBR 150. The Sonic, unlike the Wave is a performance motorbike, and is not designed for an average commuter.
The Honda Sonic is fitted with the European CBR 125 4 stroke engine. It was adapted to liquid cooling because of hot weather. The engine is a sports low cc motor, with high revolution capabilities. With only SOHC 125 cc, it outputs a good 13.5 hp (10 kW). The engine is capable of up to 10,500 revolutions per minute (rpm).
The motorbike is manufactured in Thailand by Honda Motors. Then it is exported to the rest of South East Asia. The motorbike is manufactured in massive amounts.
The price in Thailand is 50,000-55,000 Baht (approximately USD 1,250) depending if electric start is included. After export the price goes up to USD2000.
The Honda Sonic comes in two models. One with mag wheels (RS Super), and one with normal wheels (RS). Both of these versions come with a mandatory kick start. The customer may choose to include electric start.
There have been three generations of Sonics. Other than being visually modified, there are little differences. The second generation received an update to the liquid cooling, while the 3rd generation received a new free flow exhaust. Parts can be changed from all 3 generation, despite being older or newer. Old technology from Honda.
- Top speed: 140 km/h (estimate)
- 0-100 km/h: 10.8 seconds
- Maximum RPM: 10,500
- HP: 13.5 bhp (10 kW)
- Brakes: Disc brakes (front and back)
- Transmission: 5 speed manual
- Valves: 2
- Aspiration: Carburetor
- Fuel tank: 4.2 litres (unleaded)
- Weight: 102.5 kg (electric start model)
- Cooling: Liquid
- Fuel consumption: 82 mpg imperial (3.4 L/100 km)
- Latest Model: 2005-2006 (Newest motorbike in Nova Sonic Family)
- Gear box can drop from 2-N if shaken hard enough.
- Cannot cruise
- The small petrol tank means you cannot do long journeys, you have to keep an eye on the petrol.
- Suspension is designed for two persons and it is not adjustable to lower weight.
- Perfect size for city
- Fast because of light weight
- Very nimble motorbike.
- Very low gas consumption, even at high revolutions.