|Manufacturer||Honda Racing Corporation|
|Engine||800 cc (49 cu in) four-stroke V4|
The Honda RC212V is a road racing motorcycle developed to race in the 800 cc (49 cu in) MotoGP series. Officially introduced on 30 October, 2006 as the RC211V replacement in the MotoGP series, it was developed by Honda Racing Corporation (HRC) throughout 2006 and began officially racing in the 2007 season.
The model name designates the following:
- RC= Honda's traditional racing prefix
- 212= second works bike of the 21st century
- V= V engine
The RC212V features an 800 cc (49 cu in) liquid-cooled four-stroke DOHC 4-valve V4 to power the all new chassis built with mass centralization and handling as top priority.
Dani Pedrosa and Nicky Hayden rode the factory-backed versions, while the customer machines were ridden by Marco Melandri, Toni Elías, Carlos Checa, and Shinya Nakano. A perennial issue with Honda's GP motorcycle is which team and rider receives the best parts and whether performance differences are due to the rider not the machine. Before the racing season started in 2007, Melandri was quoted as saying, "In the past few tests I've seen a big progression with Pedrosa's bike, but we're still waiting for new parts from Honda."
After a few rounds, Honda riders did not achieve the results expected, leading HRC chief Satoru Horiike to admit that they made a mistake in the motorcycle's development. Melandri decided to ride with the Ducati team in 2008 and Pedrosa's dissatisfaction led to rumors that he was leaving Honda. Towards the end of 2007, however, there were signs of improvement, with the Repsol Honda team taking the last five pole positions of the season and Pedrosa winning the last round at Valencia.
For 2008, HRC planned to use pneumatic valve springs and an all-new chassis. The mass centralization of the 2007 model was thought to have gone too far, and instead the 2008 model is more open, reducing heat and improving balance. The factory team riders are Pedrosa (through 2009) and Hayden (through 2008). Satellite team riders are Nakano, Andrea Dovizioso, Randy de Puniet and Alex de Angelis.
The 2008 pneumatic valve version has only been available to the Repsol Honda team, and in pre-season testing it has been highly problematic. The original intent of running an all-new engine and chassis was shelved when the engine did not perform to expectations. Pedrosa and Hayden then tested a 2007 engine in a 2008 chassis, and after still being near the bottom of testing timesheets, the Repsol Honda team used the 2007 version in the first round’s practice for comparison purposes. For the race, Pedrosa chose a revised 2008 chassis while Hayden chose the 2007. The pneumatic engine was race-debuted by Hayden at the Donington round, and he was charged with developing the new engine for the rest of the season (Pedrosa deciding to continue using the conventional valve engine). An electronic problem at the subsequent Assen round caused Hayden to run out of fuel just before the line, allowing Colin Edwards to come around him and take the remaining podium position.
At the 13th round it was announced that Pedrosa would switch to Bridgestone tires for the remainder of the season, and he also planned to start racing the pneumatic valved engine in the 14th round at Indianapolis.
For 2009, the factory team riders will be Pedrosa and Dovizioso, and the satellite team riders will be Elías, De Angelis, de Puniet and Yuki Takahashi; Elías will be given a factory spec machine. The 2009 model will be largely the same as the 2008.
|2007 ||2008 |
|Overall length||2,050 mm (80.7 in)||2,060 mm (81.1 in)|
|Overall width||645 mm (25.4 in)|
|Overall height||1,125 mm (44.3 in)|
|Wheelbase||1,440 mm (56.7 in)||1,450 mm (57.1 in)|
|Road Clearance||125 mm (4.9 in)|
|Weight||over 148 kg (326 lb)|
|Engine Type||Liquid-cooled, Four-stroke, DOHC 4 Valve, V-4|
|Displacement||800 cc (49 cu in)|
|Max Power||Over Template:Convert/PS|
|Front||16 in (41 cm)|
|Rear||16.5 in (42 cm)|
|Rear||New Unit Pro-link||Pro-link|
|Fuel Capacity||21 L (Template:Convert/LoffAonSoffUSre)|
- "Melandri Still Waiting on Equal Machinery" (in English). MotoGP.com. 2007-02-28. http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2007/Melandri+still+waiting+on+equal+machinery. Retrieved on 2007-02-28.
- "Season 2007 - Honda: "We got it wrong"" (in English). Eurosport. 2007-05-10. http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10052007/58/season-2007-honda-wrong.html. Retrieved on 2007-09-05.
- "Melandri to ride for Ducati in 2008". Autosport.com. 2007-07-22. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61083. Retrieved on 2007-07-23.
- Noyes, Dennis (2007-08-22). "Pedrosa in Talks with Honda, (Possibly) Kawasaki" (in English). SpeedTV.com. http://www.speedtv.com/articles/moto/motogp/39654/. Retrieved on 2007-09-05.
- "2008 RC212V Unveiled by Repsol Honda" (in English). MotoGP.com. 2007-11-06. http://www.motogp.com/en/motogp/motogp_news.htm?menu=news&news_id=21508&championship_id=3§ion=1. Retrieved on 2007-11-07.
- Adams, Dean (2007-11-27). "Nick Hayden Interview: Epilog" (in English). SuperbikePlanet.com. http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Nov/071127-69-4.htm. Retrieved on 2007-11-27.
- Moody, Toby (2007-09-21). "Pedrosa confirmed until 2009" (in English). Autosport.com. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62588. Retrieved on 2007-11-27.
- "Hayden re-signs for Honda" (in English). Crash.net. 2007-09-02. http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~Hayden-re-signs-for-Honda-~cid~6~id~137706.htm. Retrieved on 2007-11-27.
- "Nakano Signs Gresini Honda Deal" (in English). MotoGP.com. 2007-10-25. http://www.motogp.com/en/motogp/motogp_news.htm?menu=news&news_id=21375&championship_id=3§ion=1. Retrieved on 2007-11-27.
- "Dovizioso confirms MotoGP move" (in English). Crash.net. 2007-09-15. http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~6~id~154512.htm. Retrieved on 2007-11-27.
- Moody, Toby (2007-08-24). "De Puniet signs two-year deal with LCR" (in English). Autosport.com. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61712. Retrieved on 2007-11-27.
- Birt, Matthew (2007-09-15). "Estoril MotoGP: Alex de Angelis to join Gresini Honda" (in English). MotorCycleNews.com. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/september/sep10-16/sep1507estorilmotogpalexdeangelistojoingresinihonda/?&R=EPI-94636. Retrieved on 2007-11-27.
- Moody, Toby (2008-03-06). "Honda to run last year's bike in practice" (in English). Autosport.com. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65502. Retrieved on 2008-03-06.
- Young, Colin (2008-03-09). "MOTOGP: Stoner Victorious Under the Lights" (in English). SPEEDTV.com. http://moto-racing.speedtv.com/article/spoiler-warning-motogp-results-round-1//P2/. Retrieved on 2008-03-10.
- Lostia, Michele (2008-06-25). "Hayden to continue with pneumatic engine" (in English). Autosport. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68619. Retrieved on 2008-07-21.
- "Hayden assured of electronic issue resolution" (in English). MotoGP.com. 2008-07-07. http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2008/Hayden+assured+of+electronic+issue+resolution. Retrieved on 2008-07-21.
- "Pedrosa switches to Bridgestone with immediate effect" (in English). MotoGP.com. 2008-08-31. http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2008/Pedrosa+switches+to+Bridgestone+with+immediate+effect. Retrieved on 2008-09-05.
- "Pedrosa to race pneumatic at Indy" (in English). Crash.net. 2008-09-05. http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/news/168566-0/pedrosa_to_race_pneumatic_at_indy.html. Retrieved on 2008-09-05.
- "TEAM SAN CARLO HONDA GRESINI - DEFINED SPORTS PROGRAMME FOR 2009" (in English). Gresini Racing. 2008-10-02. http://www.gresiniracing.com/index.php?IDC=2&ID=643. Retrieved on 2008-10-02.
- McLaren, Peter (2009-02-08). "Pedrosa: Why I didn’t want a 'new' Honda" (in English). Crash.net. http://www.crash.net/MotoGP/News/142744/1/pedrosa_why_i_didnt_want_a_new_honda.html. Retrieved on 2009-02-10.
- McLaren, Peter (2009-02-10). "Dovizioso goes with 'old' chassis" (in English). Crash.net. http://www.crash.net/MotoGP/News/142816/1/dovizioso_goes_with_old_chassis.html. Retrieved on 2009-02-10.
- "Honda Worldwide - Motor Sports - MotoGP – Spec" (in English) (HTML). Honda Racing. http://world.honda.com/MotoGP/spec/2007/index.html. Retrieved on 2008-03-14.
- "Honda Worldwide - Motor Sports - MotoGP – Spec" (in English) (HTML). Honda Racing. http://world.honda.com/MotoGP/spec/. Retrieved on 2008-03-14.
- HRC official site
- Honda Releases More Details On Their New 800cc MotoGP Contender article from Motorcycle Daily
- Honda Talks 2007 RC212V article from Motorcycle USA
- Honda unveil 'RC212V' article from Crash.net
- Honda Unveils RC212V V4 800 article from SPEEDtv
Grand Prix Motorcycles, 2000–2009
|Aprilia||RSW 500||RS3 Cube|
|Team Roberts||Proton KR3||Proton V5||KR211V||KR212V|
|250 cc||Aprilia||RSW 250||RSA 250|